Monday, September 23, 2013

Gray Days.

While it's no secret that fall is my favorite time of year, like so many other people around the world, the change from summer to fall wreaks havoc on my brain.  Fall just barely hit but the trees are only just starting to blush, the mornings are a little crisper, and it's getting darker sooner.

I have lived in Oregon for 8 years now.  One thing that I have never, and probably will never, get used to is the long rainy season.  It has taken me this long to figure out why I dislike the rainy season so much, but I finally got there.  Unlike southern CA where it's bright most of the time, and the mid-Atlantic where you get the most spectacular fall displays and winterscapes, Oregon simply gets rainy.  When it rains here it rains for days and everything is gray - gray skies, gray streets, grey leafless trees, gray gardens, gray people, gray everything.  It's like the color gets sucked out of the world come October and it stays drab until June with little teaser days of sun sprinkled in sporadically.

Every year at the end of summer when Mother Nature stops taking her meds and throws all four season of weather at us in a week, I start to resist the change.  I love the changing leaves, but I inwardly groan at waking up to another cloudy sky that threatens rain.  It's the third day of fall, aaaand....Guess what it looks like today?  Gray with a chance of rain.  Rainy, with sometimes sideways rain. So what do I want to do?  SEW.  I want to sew.  I don't want to work, I don't want to grocery shop or pay bills or cook or do chores or anything I need to do, I want to sew on something frivolous and bright.

I think that's what I'll do tonight...time to pull out the brights and make something wonderfully garish.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments and constructive criticism! All I ask is that you keep it clean and keep it kind.