Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Garbage Quilt

I am posting this just to show that I don't cherrypick which quilts I post.  Not every quilt is a success story...we all have some quilt fails, and I'll be the first to point out that this is one of mine.

I call this one The Garbage Quilt.  Why?  I was going for a scrappy Thin Mint look, but it got way out of hand and very quickly started looking like literal garbage.

Guess who endorses this quilt?

So it started out just fine with the pattern.  I chose Farfalle by Villa Rosa Designs.  And, I decided to go with dark brown scraps with bright/light green scraps.  Thin Minty.  Or so I thought.  The first block wasn't too bad. 


Things escalated quickly from there,  But for whatever god awful reason I persevered against my better judgment.


And then it was done.  And it was this.


Too much pattern, too much variety in tone, too much going on and the pattern got swallowed up and sort of lost in places.

If I were to do this again?  I would probably only use scraps for one of the two colors, and use a solid for the other.  Or, if my heart was set on scraps, I would be a little pickier about pattern and I would try to keep the tones of all the fabrics for each color more consistent. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Like my Dad says, "If 'Ifs' and 'Buts' were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry [flippin] Christmas."  Too late now!  This quilt just stands as one of my quilt fails...ya can't win 'em all!

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up. At least the pattern looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. At least the pattern looks nice.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments and constructive criticism! All I ask is that you keep it clean and keep it kind.