Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mental Health Quilt

A few weeks ago, I posted about a "houndstooth" scrap quilt I was making (while also simultaneously complaining about my never-improving-even-though-I-try math skills).

Truth be told, this has been what I call my "mental health" quilt.  Whenever I have bad days with my anxiety, sewing is really the only thing that makes me feel any better at all.  So when I was having a bad day, I would go in and choose fabrics, or cut, or organize or work on piecing this quilt.  There is no real point to it, other than to help me focus and feel calm.  It's so bizarre how something that makes you feel so bad on so many levels, can also push you into feeling super productive and creative.  Life is strange.

But anyway, I am finally done with all the blocks.  All 200 some odd of them.  I was going tog o with a random color pattern, just to look scrappy, but then I thought, hey, I've never done a color blending quilt before...why not?



So there it is (pardon my iron and chair...).  There are two more bottom rows, but my "design wall," aka, the backside of a vinyl tablecloth, wasn't big enough so they're on the floor.  I posted it on Facebook just because I was excited to have gotten this far and I was NOT expecting the reaction I got. All I can say is thank you, friends!

It's time to start piecing it all together.  I have to start soon, because I have a backlog of shop samples and wedding quilts (don't worry, Isabelle and Joey, I have not forgotten about you) to finish up.  But for now, it's time to focus on getting this thing pieced and off my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments and constructive criticism! All I ask is that you keep it clean and keep it kind.