Lately I've been working on this kind of mock houndstooth quilt using up my scrap 3.5" and 2.5" squares. It makes for small blocks (4" finished) so if I wanted a quilt of any real size, I had to make a LOT of blocks. I decided on a 15x15 layout so you really saw the pattern come out, and so it had some size to it before I put borders on it. I had a pretty cramped set up with all the sorted colors and pieces parts...my ironing capabilities are a little limited but luckily there isn't anything larger than 4.5" so far to deal with.
Yesterday, I got really excited because I thought I was in the 40 block home stretch - only 5 of each color left to go! Wellllll turns out I screwed up my math and I need 80 more. And then after recalculating, I forgot I needed an additional 40 more 3.5" black blocks to go with my additional 40 3.5" colored blocks. I'm starting to run out of scrap variety, so I'm down to the wire on my black fabrics. We'll see if I have to break down and stash dive for those last 40 black pieces. Ah, well. Quilting problems!
Once I get all the squares pieced together it shouldn't look so busy. I'm really enjoying the process and the outcome. By the time the borders are on it should be a pretty decent sized throw (over 60" square) or maybe a slightly-undersized bed quilt. We'll see!