Wednesday, June 25, 2014

WIP Wednesday: The Power of Three

I wasn't kidding when I said I was pulling out some OLD projects.  This. Is. OLD.  Well, old for me.  It's from 2008-2009.

I remember I was working on this for a sample, and I getting frustrated with it, and put it aside.  I put it aside for so long that the fabric sold out, and as I said, "well, shit," I shoved it aside again.

Some very, very valuable lessons have been learned since then:
#1.  Keep the pattern with the project when you have to put something aside.  Lord knows you won't remember how it goes together six years later.
#2.  That 1/4" seam ain't no joke.  Learn it, live it.  Because when you have to put something away, having that 1/4" mastered means you won't spend an hour and a half ripping apart, and reassembling shitty blocks.
#3.  Take some damn notes as to which fabric is which.  Because you won't remember which pieces are which after they have chunks cut out of them six years later.

Grumble, grumble, grumble; gripe, gripe, gripe.

So this is The Power of Three by Quilt Woman.  My sample was out of the Za-Za-Zing line by I-Don't-Remember-Who.  And yes, since all I have left of this pattern is the cover, I will be assembling this by looking at the picture and winging it.  How hard can it be?

LOL

Actually, after about an hour of figuring, I think I have how it goes together down.  And if not?  Well, just like skinning cats, there's more than one way to assemble a quilt.  BAM.

SO here's what I have so far.  This is going back away for a few weeks until I can finish up the (several) projects I have to finish within the next 3 weeks.  

Don't worry, I took some of these apart and redid them, because WOW  o.0

Did I mention half of the blocks I found were in various states of completeness and missing-pieces-ness?  Thankfully I at least kept the extra fabric with it. 




7 comments:

  1. Bless you - thank you for sharing the process and lessons learned. I know I have done the same thing to myself with projects I still haven't had the courage to dig out of the dark corner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne! It's amazing how the "no duh" things we know now (like keeping a pattern with your project), are the things we didn't know then. When I wrote that out, I sat there, smacked my forehead and said, "what the hell was I thinking?!"

      But if I can dig this monster out, then I know you've got the guts to dig out your too. I loved your dragon quilt, by the way! That quilting just makes it.

      Delete
  2. Great tips for future reference. I have also got very frustrated with some projects that took years to complete. This was because I could not remember the sequence of how to assemble the pieces which meant I spent ages unpicking. I now keep everything together until the project is complete and once it is and I have decided to 'file' the pattern I put some small pieces of the fabric in with it as a reminder of the quilt made using that pattern. For those patterns that I know I will never ever make again I get rid of them. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I apologize, I'm a little behind on replying to things. Keeping some swatches of the fabric is great idea! I do tend to keep the patterns even if I know I'll never make them again, just in case there is a technique I might go back to later. I know I could look it up online...but I guess I'm odd like that lol.

      Delete
  3. I completely understand that, but at least the pattern looks fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get everything together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, I do like that pattern a lot. I just wish I could find it, lol. But it will be cute when it comes together. Someday the finished thing will end up on here!

      Delete
  4. I kind of love WIPs like this! Always an adventure, and fully of little mysteries and surprises.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments and constructive criticism! All I ask is that you keep it clean and keep it kind.